Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Years Cleanse (Not What You Think!)

This post is not about a dietary cleanse, but about a personal mission, clutter attacking, organizational, let me get a handle on technology cleanse. If you feel overwhelmed with the amount of stuff you have in your house, in your car, or on your brain, read on...

Here are 7 ideas for 2013: 

1. Clean out your closet (don't roll your eyes!): I know you've heard this before, but I mean get serious about it. I'm talking, get down to it and be real with yourself. If you haven't worn it in 6-months, donate it. If it's something you constantly try on, but it doesn't fit quite right, donate it! Last winter, I bought a new sweater, which I loved. It fit great, until I washed it (I know you can probably relate!). All of a sudden it was tight on my arms and a little too short for comfort. I tried it on for weeks, hopefully it would magically return to its original size. It didn't. I donated it and I expect that someone else tried it on and it fit perfectly. Perfect. So glad to have it (and other clothing items out of my closet!) If you've got nice clothes, that you just don't wear, sell them to a consignment shop and but the money aside for the next time you need new jeans or a new dress.

2. Update your kitchen. If you haven't used a mini appliance or a serving dish in the past calendar year, donate it to a friend or to a charitable organization! Recently I moved, and I went through my kitchen and found many items that I liked, but I just didn't use. I gave them away to two college friends of mine. They were excited to get free (and usable) (and cute!) stuff and I was happy to be rid of it and make them happy!

3. Unsubscribe from unwanted emails. This has been my personal victory so far in 2013. I've had my email account since college, and there is a lot of crap on it! Now, instead of just deleting emails from places I won't ever shop or places I'll buy from once a year, every couple of days, I have clicked on the email and unsubscribed. Yes! My inbox is lighter and it feels like a rock lifted off my shoulder.

4. Clean out your pantry and fridge. I know you're planning on using that can of beans that's been sitting there since the summer, but if you haven't used it yet, are you really going to? Even if you donate it and buy a new can, I bet you're more likely to use it, plus you're doing something good for another. Do this with all your pantry items. Go through the fridge, get rid of anything questionable, toss condiments that haven't been used in a month, or anything you bought more than 4 months ago. Wipe down your fridge. Do the same with the freezer. If it's been opened and in the freezer more than a month, toss it. Clean out the ice maker and start fresh!

5. Pamper yourself (all in 1 week). This may be more for the ladies, but not totally. Take a long shower or bath, exfoliate and shave your legs like you are about to wear a bikini tomorrow. Moisturize after you shower and take time to use your favorite facial mask. Go to your salon and get your eyebrows done, get a manicure/pedicure, get a haircut and style, get a facial or a massage. Treat yourself and then keep it up on your own.

6. Set goals that are actionable. Set a goal and know what you have to do to hit it. For example, "I want to lose weight" is not a goal. "I will lose 5 pounds by cutting x,y and z from my diet or by cooking from home more, and taking the time to exercise 3-5 days per week on x,y,z schedule" is a goal. Assist your brain in knowing what to do to hit your goal. I did this this year and it's making a world of difference with my focus!

7. Make a huge To-Do List. Include everything. And by everything I mean big things, like refinancing your mortgage or researching your next car, home or job. I also mean little things like, touching up a paint mishap on your wall, going through your cosmetics drawer, or buying new floor mats for your car. Whatever you have ever thought, "I need to do that," write it down and then prioritize it. Chip away at it and cross it off as you go. Victory! 

The last tip is to be ok with the lack of perfection. If you set a goal and pursue it for 3 days and then lose momentum for a day, don't stop. Reset, get back on the horse and go at it again. No one is perfect. Expecting perfection rids you of the possibilities of achieving your goals, because there is so much pressure to get it exactly right, that you lose sight of the progress.

Step 1 is recognizing that you want to improve.
Step 2 is organizing a plan
Step 3 is putting the plan in motion through action
Step 4 is never giving up, no matter what may come against you

Happy 2013!

Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment