Sunday, January 13, 2013

Everytime I Run

This weekend, I had an amazing opportunity to attend a conference called "Imagine" which focuses on dreams and goals, where you are going/want to do, and success stories and principles taught by people that I respect in my industry. It's the perfect opportunity for me.

Going into the weekend, I was thinking about my dreams moving forward. I have many. Some would excite you and some you'd think I was a nutso.

That's ok though, because my dreams are mine, and your dreams are yours.

I respect anyone who wants to say dig deep into the earth and discover unknown species of bugs....I have no desire to do that. Or someone who dreams to swim across the English Channel...yeah...I'll start with swimming one lap smoothly :)

On Saturday morning, I got up early, and decided to go for a run in Raleigh. I didn't really know where I was going, but as soon as I started, I got all giddy/excited/joyful, because I had gotten up early to go for a run,  a move that most people wouldn't make. I was prideful in a positive way,

 I found a walking/running/bike trail about 8-minutes into my run. As I'm running and running I started to think...

Running for more than 5-minutes is part of one of my dreams realized.

Every so often when I run, I think about when I couldn't even run a mile straight. In high school my mile time was 14:10, as an athlete, this was embarassing. I just couldn't figure it out.

Fast forward and I can now run races. This weekend, I got up early, and ran for 45-minutes straight, in unknown territory, without stopping.

In high school, I couldn't have done this.

In high school, I didn't know that 10 years later, I would have the dream to run a marathon.

But, now....it's a dream realized.

Everytime I run more than 1-mile, I think about when I couldn't run a mile and how much it hurt. I chose to win in this area. You chose to win now...with whatever you want to do. Fight for it. Sweat a little. Have uncomfortable and honest discussions with yourself if it's needed. Do whatever it takes and live your dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment