Friday, August 24, 2012

Uno Focus

This week, my brain has been working overtime. I've been distracted by so many thoughts, activities, friends needs, family concerns, you name it. I'm sure many of you have experienced this. You know you need to just take a chill pill (sorry, that's such a 90's reference!), but for some reason you think that going on and on like the energizer bunny (shoot...more 90's), will produce the result you are looking for.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "you have to slow down to speed up" ?!

I have and it kind of drives me crazy sometimes, 'how can I slow down, when I want to move forward quickly?!'

The truth is, sometimes we have to remain oober focused on a goal that we set in place and commit to achieve. Whenever you set a goal, no kidding, obstacles will be placed in front of you. It's not like skipping through a field of daisies. Sometimes, I think we get so excited about setting a goal, that we forget that it's a process to get there, to achieve the goal. Setting the goal doesn't mean it's done. Getting up and doing something gets the goal moving in the right direction.

Sometimes we achieve right away and sometimes it takes time. I believe if you set a true goal that you are passionate about, that you will wake up thinking about it. Does anyone remember in Sister Act 2 (omg, so much 90's!!), when Whoopi Goldberg talks to Lauryn Hill about her passion for singing. This has always stuck in my mind. Watch the clip.

If you're like me, you could wake up thinking about one thing, and then throughout the day get distracted by a dozen others. How do you know what you are passionate about, or what you should do for your future?

I challenge you with this.

The other day I was playing tennis with my good friend and I had all sorts of stuff on my mind. Pretty much everything but the tennis game. And guess what? I was playing like..awful. He was about to serve and I said, "Monica, for the next hour, all I want you to focus on is that little yellow/green (who really knows what color!) ball and just beating it over the net as powerfully as you can.

Don't you know I played better. I had laser focus on that ball and how I wanted to hit it low and fast over the net. Now, let's not be overzealous and think that all of a sudden I was a Williams sister, but the point was, I was playing at my best.

Can you focus on something and do it at your best?

Your best is different than my best, which is different than your best friends best or your bosses best. Be you. Perform at your best. Keep focused. Focus on one thing at a time and master it for you. I bet if you do this, you will move forward.

In health and prosperity,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment