Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Running Reflections from a Marathon Rookie


For those of you interested in running or participating in distance events, the best advice I can give you is to start. As you start, don't get discouraged about where you are at. Instead, think about where you are going.


The Marine Corps Marathon on October 30, 2011, will be my first marathon. Up until last month, I declared that this will also be my only one. However, I can already tell that I am going to want to do a second one to improve my time, based on some lessons learned. One of the biggest changes in routine I have made as of late, is to repeat routes. Prior, I would just go, just run as long as I could, without much direction. What I found is that knowing the end point, helps me run faster, harder, and longer. After doing the same 10k training route three times, I improved my original time by 15-minutes, because I had "been there." Sometimes, experience pays.


Historically, running has been my fitness nemesis; I would prefer to do anything else for exercise (except dance in public!). Now, as I have practiced and improved, I have found it to be, not only a great escape from work, stress, and other stuff, but an activity that I actually look forward too. Maybe for you, running leaves little to desire. If so, apply your sport of choice and get going (even if it's just 5-min). We all must start somewhere!


Yesterday, I found myself in deep thought on the trail during a 14-mile training run. With longer distances, it's all about perspective and expectation. This distance was about twice the length of my average training run. Because I knew that this was part of the process to hit the end goal (increasing my mileage), I wasn't intimidated. Reflecting on the past, I remember when I couldn't run for 14-minutes...ok, let's be honest, probably not even for 4-minutes; let alone over 14-miles.


The body is amazing when you progress properly and give yourself room to improve. You can be hard on yourself for where you aren't (this applies to a non-active individual, as much as it does to the athlete). Or, you can recognize where you are at, and resolve to get better. A little bit. Most days of the week.


The best way to get where you want is to know where you are going!


No comments:

Post a Comment