Thursday, September 15, 2011

Out of Routine: What You Want

Healthy living is more than just diet and exercise. While I won't overwhelm you with all the factors that contribute to health; finding balance in daily living is one of the keys find health universally. In my opinion, healthy living can be summed up to one or two action steps:


1. Progressively (yes this is a double meaning!) develop a positive mental attitude

2. Take the time to stop and think about what you need and what you are willing to maintain or improve your health


Perspective, either forced or sought out can move us to change. Maintaining a healthy perspective is sometimes as simple as getting out of your routine, admitting you need guidance, or experiencing something impactful or unexpected.


Henrik Edberg, posts on The Positivity Blog a title called "How to Get the Boring Tasks Done."This caught my attention, because I consider ALL household tasks boring (aside from cooking or rearranging furniture). The tips are awesome; even more impressive is that they can be changed over to refer to any area of your health that you find boring or mundane!


Recently, I have been trying to get out of my routine/out of my comfort zone to gain a new perspective. Yesterday, I was done with training, a little earlier than expected. My instinct was to go home, make dinner and then do some work on the computer. Instead I went to Barnes and Noble and sat up in one of their window seats, to get my work done. Simply being in a different location than usual helped me to think differently about a couple of things. What does this have to do with health? EVERYTHING (for me!) As a worker bee, I find it challenging to "turn it off." By setting myself up to finish my work, before heading home, it allowed me the freedom to go home, cook dinner, and just chill out. Don't you know, I got more sleep than normal too. Changing your perspective or your routine can have a ripple effect on your health, that you may not recognize at first. My above example is just a tiny one.


Laura Yochelson, budding author of "I Only Had Anorexia: Could I Ever Have Something More" is a sweet example of one who identifies changes needed, then seeks out answers, and then teaches others about her experiences. Stay tuned for her book launch, coming soon!


Getting out of our routine (or sometimes getting into a different, more productive routine), can help you gain a new perspective when it comes to your health. We can get up so close in our own business, that we lose our goals. Or we can just go-go-go without relishing in on on the most vital activities...thinking.


Get out of your own way, stop and think, then take action. Do this regularly and watch your life change over time!

No comments:

Post a Comment