Saturday, June 2, 2012

It's Like Playing Bball Without Hoops

Recently I heard a very successful, young, and bold entrepreneur say, "doing a whole lot of work without a specific goal, is like playing basketball without hoops...it's very frustrating."

Now, at this moment, I had to set my own ego aside, because I am good at setting goals, and I would venture to say, I'm good at helping others set their goals too. When I heard him say this, it kind of hit me like a brick to the head, with regard to a couple areas of my life, where I have been working and thinking forward about things non-stop, but do often get frustrated with the results.

So this begs the question...

Are we really moving toward our goals (and do we know what our goals are), or are we just floating from event to event hoping something will change?

My hope is that  you are the first scenario, but so often (even if it's just in one area of life), we are stuck in scenario #2.

This statement was so powerful, it bears repeating:

"Doing a whole lot of work without a specific goal, is like playing basketball without hoops...it's very frustrating."

The truth is, that when you set a goal and make a full out commitment to it (with the right heart), things and people will come into play to help make it happen. This is a universal truth. You may not even know why someone is stepping in to help you. Another person, may not know why they were called to help out your cause. There is power in setting a true goal, and then pursuing it with passion.

In response to this young entrepreneurs statement, I spent the week thinking about it, and then applying it to my own life.

What I came out with, I want to share with you from a universal perspective. His statement got me thinking about:

1. Do you know what you're trying to accomplish in every area of your life, including: health, family, spiritual, finance, etc.

2. Are your goals moving you forward or frustrating you enough to keep you standing still?

3. Do you have a mentor (or someone who is where you want to be), that can help guide you toward your dreams and goals?

4. Are your goals important enough (for you), that they are worth pursuing (for you).

Change takes prepared action.

The saying goes, "plan your work, then work your plan."

Sometimes the planning is just as important as the action.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "do the thing, and you shall have the power."

Step out. Don't be afraid to reveal your dreams and goals (first to yourself, and then to a trusted mentor!)






No comments:

Post a Comment