Friday, October 21, 2011

Learning from past, present & future to get what you want!

I love how things work out. I love how when you seek inspiration and seek stories, they can be found. Whatever you seek, you will find. I believe this wholeheartedly; it's also biblical and true. For example, if you focus on always being sick, then you are probably always sick. If you focus on never being able to make your car payment, it's probably a struggle every month. If you focus on moving toward your purpose in life (even if you don't really know what it is yet), you gain clarity. If you focus on the good, on your strengths, you can find the victory in anything and everything. 

This weekend is the celebration of 10 years since high school. Whoa.

There are several events lasting the weekend, in honor of the alumni. Today, I visited my high school, which is in a new location, about 4 times the size of the school I attended, however still under the same name. It has grown and is thriving, yet it still holds the same core values.  I could be mad and think, 'why couldn't I have had attended this large, beautiful, lovely school,' but the truth is I was in the right place at the right time, and guess what, so are you. 

High school was a great time for me, personally. In many ways, better than college. On the tour today, it was funny what we all remembered. Lucky for me, I ran into two of my high school classmates, making it way more fun to reminisce. They remembered so much more detail than me. It took me 10-minutes of hard thinking to remember what the library looked like, which shows how much time I spent in there! 

The new school had characteristics of the old school, but with much burlier features. It was better, and that's a good thing. On a wall near the gym, hung a large piece of the gym floor where I played volleyball everyday with Miatta (one of the girls I was blessed to run into today) and where I remember that awful freshman gym class where we all had to run a mile for time. 

Each of us were reminded of our own stories of that treachorous mile test. During the tour, no joke, I saw Mr. Hilton, my gym teacher from 14 years ago, instructing a new class of freshman recruits. I bet they were about to run their mile too! He was a great teacher, and I respected him a lot. I am sure I can give him partial credit for my chosen career, but boy, I hated that mile test. 

In high school, my mile time was 14:10. For any of you who don't know what this means...it means I walked a lot of it. 

Next weekend, I am running my first ever marathon. 

Today I was brought back, with a laughing nostalgia, to a time when I could not run 1 mile.

In 9 days, I will run 26.2

Thrill, excitement, anticipation, and eagerness all describe what I am feeling about this race. 

It was not a coincidence that today, I got a glimpse of the very floor, which shaped the drive to get physically better, stronger and do what I never thought possible. 

Never did I ever see a marathon in my future when I was huffing and puffing around a track, my freshman year of high school.

In 9 days, I will embark on a 26.2 mile journey, that it more meaningful than just the physical. It is a testimony of the success principle, known as consistency. What can we accomplish over time, if we stay consistent, keep moving forward, and exude the attitude of aggressive patience?!

The point of all this is not about me, my marathon, and my past experience as a run/walker in high school. 

It's about all of us; about what we are capable of. It's about what we can do to meet our dreams and goals with sustained, patient, and persistent effort. Today I challenge you to think beyond today, to think about what you want and what you are willing to do (probably a little bit everyday), to get there. 

Write it down and revisit it often. As my friend, Napolean Hill says, there is nothing that sustained thought cannot overcome. 

What you seek and what you think about is what you get. 

Think about and embrace your future. For good. Dream a little bit. Actually, dream a lot. 

Define what your tomorrow will look like, and start today. Actually, start right now, on the path to what you want! 

No comments:

Post a Comment