Monday, October 31, 2011

Find Your "Sport"

Finding the exercise that you like, that gets you results, and most importantly keeps to motivated to go back for more. This weekend was enlightening for me with regard to this topic. I set the goal to run the marathon, trained for it (not as much as my coach had planned), and then did it. It was a great accomplishment; I'm proud, but it doesn't mean I want to repeat it over & over! 

Often, I meet with people who say, "well I just don't like exercise." And usually I wonder and inquire, "well what have you tried." Most often it boils down to the particular activity as not being the right choice, for that particular person. I have always related this dialogue to the new exerciser, almost exclusively. After my marathon overall experience, I now know that this type of conversation can come up with a "regular" too. 

Yesterday I ran the Marine Corps Marathon, my first marathon. It was an inspiring race, one I will never forget. So many friends reached out on Facebook to congratulate, and that meant a lot. A few great friends came down to cheer on and support. It was fun and I enjoyed the experience greatly. Going into the race, I met people who said, "this is my first marathon," "this is my 35th marathon," "this is my 8th time running the Marine Corps Marathon," etc, etc. There were many first timers who are now hooked on marathoning and many repeat offenders who will continue to race as long as possible. There's no question that the marathon culture is well and thriving. 

Great experience and super motivating, especially when at mile 24 there were two Marines broadcasting encouraging words, "This is where you did deep. Find your motivation." I ran faster.  

But, I don't have a desire to do it again (except for maybe one more time!) It's not because it's hard, or it takes a lot of time to train (although both of those are true). It's because I found that I am not motivated by training for this type of race; in fact the last 6 weeks before the race, I barely trained and was the most inactive I have ever been since I started working out regularly, 7 years ago. This baffled me, at first I thought I was just slacking and becoming lazy, even though this is not my way, but in reality, I just wasn't motivated by running 15-20 miles as my workout. This is good knowledge to have. I encourage you to explore what motivates you and what doesn't. 

After the race, my coach and great friend, Jeff, asked me, "Are you elated? Are you feeling that runner's high." My answer was no. I couldn't even believe it! I thought I would be up in the clouds after finishing the race and running home to sign up for the next. Nope! 

There were many runners who, like me, ran their first marathon yesterday and will go on to run many more. I think that's awesome and am excited for those that found their exercise niche! 

Hopefully this message doesn't come across as whiney and make me sound weak. This is not the intention. I completed the race, I am proud of my accomplishment, and my legs will be talking to me for days!

The point is, I now know that I am excited about lifting weights, getting stronger, and accomplishing in the gym. I love to hike and cycle, and run 5-10 miles. Awesome. 

It's the same with food or with careers. You may love horseradish (like me) and your brother could hate it (I'll have to ask mine his preference!). You may be a engineer and your neighbor may be an artist. You can both appreciate each others profession, without having the desire to switch places. 

Do you enjoy what you do for exercise, or do you find yourself skipping it often? If you love it, awesome, you've found the right activity (don't be surprised if it changes and evolves over time). If you skip or are not consistent, try something new. Keep searching until you find that activity or sport that works for you. Maybe its dancing, or archery, or trail running, or water aerobics, or Olympic lifting, or rollerblading. Whatever it takes to find what works best for you: do it. (and then tell us about it!). 

What's next for me? Taking a few days off from anything other than walking and yoga, then focusing on strength training to build back up, and cycling! My next race will be a fun one, the Turkey Chase 10k in Bethesda, MD on Thanksgiving Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment