Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Mirror mirror

It's amazing how the human mind works. I can only speak for myself, since I don't have access to anyone else's brain, but I will tell you that mine, like all of yours can play tricks on you. 

For as long as I've known, I've struggled with something called body dismorphia, where you look in the mirror and see yourself differently than you actually are. For me, I've always seen myself as overweight or unattractive or needing to change x,y, or z about my body. I only share this because I know other women can relate! 

It's only when I look at pictures that I get a reality check, 'oh, I'm totally fit' or 'ooh I look way better than I thought' 

During the last 2 and a 1/2 years, the scales have switched on me.. In all ways!

I went from always feeling like I was fat (even though looking back I was ridiculously fit!) to the other extreme of feeling confident with my body, as I steadily (legitimately) gained weight. 

How can one be more confident as they gain weight, versus being totally fit and thinking the opposite.

My goal is not to answer that question, but more to ask you a couple of questions back. 

1. When you look in the mirror, do you focus on what you love or what you don't love about your body.

Please focus on what you love.. Or like more..

2. Are you confident with your direction in life (having nothing to do with your body)?

Are you pursuing your dreams and going after stuff that matters.

I realized that part of the reason I was unhappy with my body is that I was unhappy with my life mission; my drive was lost, I had no day-to-day purpose.

Now I have passion, and purpose and a hope for the future, but I'm (eek!) 30 pounds heavier than I was 2+ years ago. And I'm more confident in my body now than I was then! 

Attached is a pic from a moment in time where I thought my body wasn't good enough (my hips are too big!)

I still have goals to take off some of the weight and body fat that I have accumulated over the past couple of years, but I am even more excited about pursuing my dreams and making a difference. 

My point is... If you are unhappy with your body, your friends, your spouse, your job, your boss, etc:

Take a moment to look in the mirror.
Not at your body, but at your life direction.

Ask yourself this, are you accomplishing what God put you on this earth to accomplish?

You don't need to be perfect, you just must be in pursuit. 

Having a definite major purpose in life will help you to overcome those negative bodily distractions.

You were meant to win. Now go out, change the image you see in the mirror and go win!

No comments:

Post a Comment