Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Why Being An Entrepreneur Is So Awesome

As an entrepreneur you're on all the time, your income fluctuates, you get up early and stay up late, you have independent health insurance, and your retirement plan is your business.  You're constantly thinking of new ideas, and products, and strategies to reach people, to help people, to improve society.

It sounds exhausting right?

The truth is, yes, it can be. Yes, there are moments when you want to throw in the towel and go get a job flipping burgers or apply to have a cushy office position with a view.

But an entrepreneur has a desire to discover, to press forward, to find solutions. We sometimes live in self-afflicted (temporary) misery in order to move things forward. But we wouldn't trade it for any salaried job in the world. 

Entrepreneurs can't help but get there hands dirty. We have or be involved. We want to help people. 

Today I treated myself to coffee at my favorite local spot at 7am. I asked the sweet girl how her day was, and she said with a smile, "we're out of regular coffee." Her tone indicated that her regular customers wouldn't be excited about this. I immediately asked questions like, "who's your supplier?" "Aren't they right down the street?" "Can't we fix this?" I found myself trying to problem solve a business problem that 1) wasn't mine, and 2) i wasn't asked to fix. I had to bite my tongue and walk away. But.. It was hard! If I had a wholesaler coffee connection, I would've offered my services. I still am looking into how I can help. But this is a simple example... entrepreneurs can't help but get involved and seek solutions.

Ok onto the even more awesome part.. Here are a couple of bullet points about why being your own boss is so amazing:

1. Flexibility

This is so key. I personally operate 2 businesses, one which is local and requires my physical presence (personal training) and the other which can be run at any hour, from anywhere, with a smartphone or tablet. With the second option, I don't have to worry about being in a specific spot... If I have a call set up with a partner, I can be in DC or Hawaii and get the same result. With the latter, I can send a fellow entrepreneur videos and education through an app, and my newest partner can educate themselves, while I'm working out, sleeping or meeting face to face with another business partner.

2. Control 

Continuing on from flexibility. The ability to control your schedule and only dedicate time where you find to be of value. When I worked for someone else, I didn't get to decide who I met with or the terms of our meeting. As an entrepreneur, you are in control of your time & your associations. This is priceless.

3. No ceiling 

When I was naive to the corporate world, I thought that my bosses wanted to help me progress, purely. As I got "older" in the industry.. I learned... Not the case. As am entrepreneur, the only ceiling that exists is the one you place on yourself. Your expectations, your vision and the action you take toward your dreams and goals affect how your story plays out. You can write yourself in the lineup of a successful entrepreneur, and do what most don't even dare to dream about.

4. Freedom

My favorite word.. What the great United States of America was founded on. I've heard many an entrepreneur say, that you are not free in America until you are financially free. While owning your own business will take work, and it may take your blood, sweat, and tears (so to speak)... My personal training business has literally taken all of those! 

Anyway.. owning your own business and being an entrepreneur is not for the weak...it's not for the lazy.. It's not for someone looking for a quick fix. Anything that produces success is going to take work, work ethic, commitment, focus, and follow through. The reward is worth it. 

I'm going to be expanding on this topic in the coming months. It's on my heart to educate on entrepreneurism. My hope is that whether your goal is to make an extra $3,000 or $3,000,000 a year, this series will benefit you.

In health & prosperity,

Monica 

No comments:

Post a Comment