Friday, March 8, 2013

Monica's Pre-Race Food Tips

Next Saturday, I'm running the Rock n' Roll Half Marathon with 3 of my friends! I can't wait to do this race, because it will be the first race I've done since the life changing MCM in 2011! I did zero races in 2012 after running a marathon at the end of 2011, although it doesn't feel like it's been that long. Anyway, today I got this question from a friend who's running it too, and I thought it could be helpful for you, if you are looking at running a half or a full marathon in the near future. 

Question: What Should I Eat the Week Before the Race?   

Answer: Eat normally throughout the week, with foods that you know are neutral to your digestion. This week I've actually been eating a rather plant strong diet with lean proteins, like salmon or ground turkey breast. I like this type of diet because it makes me feel lighter, which helps running.  In general next week, I would say to stay away from foods that drag you down, like super cheesy/high saturated fat/fast food type stuff, but eat normally. 

The most important eating day is the day before the race. You'll want to drink extra water throughout the day and eat a dinner that is generous in healthy carbs. Whole grain pasta with veggies and a meat is a great way to go. My go-to the day before race day is actually Chipotle, because it's easy, no thought, and will give me a good sized portion of the right types of food.  I do brown rice, beans (sometimes), peppers, chicken, tomato, corn, and a little bit of sour cream and cheese. This preps me and gives me energy, but I would recommend eating it at least a couple hours before you go to bed, so that it can digest right ;-) On race day morning, I drink an XS (for the B-12 energy), a big glass of water and make myself a 2 egg, whole wheat bread, spinach and tomato breakfast sandwich with an apple. I also usually bring a ~200 cal protein bar to eat 30-min or so before the race starts. I find that because we are eating breakfast so early to get to the race, I am usually hungry by the time the race starts, which is not a great way to start. You may not need that extra bar, but it's good to have it on hand in case! 

This is how I eat, and what I've figured out for myself after a few higher distance races. You may be different. Figuring out what's best is all about trial and error.

The key with the pre-race diet, is to not eat anything new the day before or morning of, and really if you can help it, a couple days before. You don't want to find out on race day that your body doesn't digest "x" like you thought it would. Same thing goes for sports drinks, energy cubes or energy shots. I would recommend not experimenting on race day! Runner's diarrhea is a real thing :) 

You may want to run with water, but experiment with your method, before race day. I don't like to run with anything extraneous on me. I find that the water stations come up enough, but I know some like to have it when they want it. 

This is my non-scientific method for eating before a distance race. Feel free to comment with your experiences! 

In health & prosperity, 
Monica

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck! I ran the Rock N Roll Marathon series in AZ earlier this year! Super fun:) Darbi Lewis

    ReplyDelete